My Photo
Name:
Location: lake placid, florida

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

the long and winding row

miles and miles and miles of binding off
at least it seemed like miles




but let me start at the very beginning


with these absolutely gorgeous skeins of worsted superwash merino from tanis fiber arts-

12 different colors, greens, blues and purples.

the colors are so saturated and the yarn is super soft and squishy.

excellent customer service!

it all started with a little log cabin square, ala januay one, thanks cara :-)

true potato chip knitting.

after the log cabin strips were all knit up, i picked up all the stitches on knitpicks harmony tips using 2 tips and 5 cables.

added a narrow border of jewel and a wide border of mallard just like a sewn quilt.




exactly what i was hoping for, a huge super-soft comfy balnket, big enough for two.

details in my ravelry notebook.


in our lake placid backyard we have a mulberry tree. when we planted it the tree was about 6 feet tall. now it is huge!



tom and i put on our rattiest clothes, and picked a bowl full of berries.


i baked a pie. yum yum yum




madaket and shimmo waiting for the tennis ball.


rajah says "stupid dogs, they could be napping."

18 Comments:

Anonymous Marcia said...

Vanessa, that blanket is drop-dead gorgeous! Nice looking pie, too!

8:29 PM  
Blogger knitspot anne said...

wow! those yarns are scrumptious! and pie . . . you had to show me pie??

11:27 PM  
Blogger Chery said...

Beautiful blanket and wonderful colors. Love that cat!

12:14 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

That blanket is stunning and boy doesn't that pie look fabulous!

6:31 AM  
Blogger June said...

Holy cow, Vanessa! That is totally wicked! I love it and I am so glad to see you post again! Got any more pie to share??

7:26 AM  
Blogger Mary in VA said...

I can't decide what looks yummier - the blankie or the pie!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Wooo- gorgeous afghan!!

Mulberry...I had trees at the farm. Named a calf for them too!!

11:37 AM  
Blogger Sheila E said...

Cozy and Grand all around!
Wish I was at your house eating pie!
Don't think I ever had a mulberry.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Did you just pick these berries?

1:06 PM  
Blogger knitalot3 said...

Beautiful blanket!

3:48 PM  
Anonymous elizabeth said...

Gorgeous!!! I love the colors you used!

11:25 AM  
Blogger Teyani said...

what a fabulous blanket! and thanks for the link to yet another great dyer :-)

11:05 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

What a beautiful blanket! You've knit yourself an heirloom.

Rajah is so cool.

11:23 PM  
Anonymous pat said...

THAT is the prettiest knitted blanket I've ever seen!!

9:58 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Love the afghan--beautiful colors! I cannot imagine picking up all of those stitches! Nice Work!

and that pie! Y-U-M! (worth all the work to pick the mulberries I'm sure!)

8:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your blanket is absolutely gorgeous! I love the colours and the yarn.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

beautiful color choice.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Manise said...

Catching up on your posts. Love your Log Cabin blanket- wonderful colors.

I smiled when I saw the mulberries! I grew up with them in Greece. My friends and I would climb up into the tree and pick and eat. Some made it home and more found their way squished down our fronts and that is a stain that so doesn't come out of white shirts. I was pleased to see you make a pie out of them as we never did. They were always a fruit eaten as is out the hand so to speak. Occasionally I see them here in this country littering a sidewalk and birds gorging themselves on them. A treat when I can reach high enough to eat a few.

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home