My Photo
Name:
Location: lake placid, florida

Friday, June 19, 2009

meet my new baby

baby wolf!




schacht cherry 8 harness baby wolf from the yarn barn of kansas.

excellent customer service!



the red rayon chenille warp is a kit from cotton clouds. since i didn't have a warping board, or warping reel here, i called around til i found this kit, it has a precut warp chain.

i haven't woven in a few years, deborah chandler's book "learning to weave", and sallie guy's weaving video "tips and tricks" are invaluable learning tools.

here the reed is sleyed, 15 epi, i used a 10 dent reed, and sleyed it 2/1.

iow, sleyed 2 threads in one dent, 1 thread in the next dent, to make it 15 ends per inch in a 10 dent per inch reed.


the warp is tied in bundles with rubberbands behind the reed so the little suckers don't have a chance to fall out ;-)


next the warp is threaded through the heddles. it is threaded in a straight twill, but will be woven tabby or plain weave.


i separated 4 heddles at a time in order, so i wouldn't make a booboo.

but i did make a major mistake. i had way too many heddles on the harness, and since i was using the entire weaving width, there was no room for all those extra heddles to go on the sides.

deep breath

nothing to do but unthread the heddles, lift the harnesses out, take off the extra heddles and rethread.

uh, a learning exprience i am putting in writing in hopes i don't ever repeat it ;/)

i tied a white cotton string onto the middle of the reed, and threaded each side of the warp through the heddles from the center out.

finally the warp is wound onto the warp beam in the back, and tied to the cloth beam in the front.


first i wove with some thick white yarn to evenly space out the warp.




wheehee! actual weaving! the weft is a solid red rayon chenille. the warp is 3 colors of red rayon chenille, i threaded the 3 colors in a random pattern.




love it!

why does the weaving go so much more quickly than the setup?




outside photo-






inside photo, just to try and show more of the lovely drape. i wish you could feel the fabric :-)

21 1/2" by 41 1/2".

the cloth will be made into 2 large pillows for my son and ddil for christmas. i'll sew a solid back onto the pllows.

now for some gingersnaps!



a little waffle before the beach-
look at that facey- i just want to kiss her and kiss her!



swing!


daddy and gingersnap in the lake.

pappa reading a bedtime story, thank goodness we will be seeing her soon!



rebecca came for a visit with her new puppy, moby. he is a mini-shimmo!
madaket likes him.


just to show you how insane my cat really is.
rajah leaps from the bartop up to the stair railing-


then he climbs up to the top. the railing is about an inch and a half wide!
now for the ratty news. somehow i have totally messed up my left rotator cuff and bicept tendon. why didn't anyone warn me how painful cortisone shots are?
a week later, my first physcal therapy session . during the evaluation the physical therapist (i love her) told me i also have carpal tunnel in both wrists.
as we say in the south- how nice.

18 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Wow, so much going on.
First, I'm so sorry about all the shoulder/wrist discomfort. Second, Gingersnap is so big! And adorable, of course. The puppy isn't half-bad either. I'm glad you're having fun with your new loom. I got to spend some time with the ladies at the Schacht booth at TNNA. Made me feel badly about not touching my loom since my class ended. Take care!

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Dave Daniels said...

Wow, I can't believe that beautiful red chenille you wove already! I've never wanted to try it, but now I've got to look for some at the yarn store. (What's the fiber content on it?)
And your loom? It's gorgeous. Looks like the big brother to my little cherry Wolf Pup. I can't wait to see the other things you've planning.
Oh, and thanks for the link about the warping boards. I put in an email to get one in cherry. Thanks for that!
Tell kitty to go easy on that narrow railing.

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Rebecca said...

Yikes, sorry about the shoulder but especially that carpel business; although both can be fixed it is very vexing to be unable to do those crafts we love while the fix is happening. At least you will be able to snap photos of that adorable little girl during that time! We have a boy, so no cute girly-girl knitting for us, dammit. Actually, if that's all I have to whine about life can't be too bad. We're making an effort to get Yarn Girls back into the mix of everything else we have to do. I'm trying to spend 30 minutes several times a week with it but not always succeeding. We'll see how it goes. I'm even starting to read blogs again and catch up on my friends lives. Thanks for still being here! Rebecca

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Ivete said...

I'm sorry but a PT cannot diagnose CTS! Take it from me, I spent almost 15 years with CTS and then had release surgery . . . email me if you want to chat! BTW, cortizone in your wrist doesn't hurt almost at all compared to the shoulder! I've had both . . . =(

3:47 PM  
Blogger CrazyFiberLady said...

That is a gorgeous loom. I saw on at a recent festival and the cherry is just beautiful. I wish I had a schacht, but have the leclerc compact loom instead. You hit on it, the weaving is speedy next to the setup, which is why I don't really weave these days.

Sorry about the shoulder!

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Marcia said...

Boy, when you post, you POST! Love the weaving (you win....you have more toys than I have!), that cat is amazing, adorable child, and ouch on the shoulder/biceps/wrist stuff. Getting old is not, as my husband says, for sissies!

6:33 PM  
Blogger Teyani said...

what a lovely new stole/scarf. You are so brave weaving with chennile! (i always found it too stretchy)
Congrats on the new addition to the family of craft toys!
And what a shame that you have injured yourself so badly. rotator cuff AND carpel tunnel. that seems beyond cruel.
are you considering sugrgery? or would some vitamin support ideas be helpful?

1:29 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Your loom is stunning in Cherry and wonderful that you already cranked out that beautiful red chenille. I love weaving with chenille.

I'm so sorry to hear about your shoulder and wrists.... :(

8:03 AM  
Blogger June said...

Gorgeous Vanessa, just gorgeous! Weaving is so wonderful, but the set up - OY! My neck can not handle it, so. . . I hope your shoulder is better soon! All the new babies at the house must just make you sing!!

Hugs to you!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

What a great post - so many wonderful photos!

Your weaving is gorgeous.

When did Miss Gingersnap get so big? She is absolutely adorable.

I'm sorry about your shoulder and wrists. I can really empathize after my bouts with rotator cuff pain. I hope it's better soon!

Hopefully you'll get some pain relief and healilng soon as the cortisone kicks in and helps reduce the inflammation.
take care!

3:35 PM  
Anonymous kerry said...

I'm on overload with your post! Love the loom, weaving, baby child, baby dog, and the photos of Raja about made my heart stop.

I hope you aren't kept from spinning and knitting for too long! I had the wrist surgery and didn't think it was that big a deal. Get it over with, if that's what they recommend, so you can get back to doing what you love faster.

Take care, sweetie!!

4:54 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

First--one of my relatives had the carpal tunnel surgery and it didn't work out well. Go slowly, see if you can cure thing some other, less invasive way first. Feel better--I know how much you love to knit/spin/weave, flame fingers!

The new loom is stunning. You've narrowed down exactly the loom I've considered...and of course, the dogs/grandbaby/children, etc, all gorgeous as well. :) So much to respond to!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Romi said...

Gorgeous weaving, gorgeous loom. Gingersnap is adorable! Sending white light and love - heal fast!

12:46 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

What a feast for the eyes! The loom is really, really nice (lovely woodgrain). The fabric you wove is so rich, it will make perfect cushions. (Is there anything you can't do?)

Miss Gingersnap and the pups are adorable. I love how Miss G. is looking up at pappa.

Raja jumps from the bar on the floor below and lands on that railing? Amazing.

I hope you mend quickly - big hugs and healing juju beaming at you.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Wow, a loom! I didn't know you could weave, too. Come take a class with me sometime - it would be fun!

Good luck with the PT. I had a nearly frozen right shoulder 2 years ago - torn RC & bicep, etc. I opted for acupuncture & PT, and although it was slow, it was very successful. I can raise both arms over my head now!

Beautiful baby... both babies!

7:12 PM  
Blogger Vicki said...

Love your loom! Hope you'll soon be back to spinning/knitting/weaving.

Miss Gingersnap is adorable. That pic with her and Tom is priceless!

8:56 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Beautiful new loom!! Yay!

REALLY lovely woven fabric! (already!!)

I just picked up Sigrid Piroch's book, and I don't even own a loom!

Rajah is very cool, probably the coolest cat on the internets :-)

So sorry to hear about the left rotator cuff and bicept tendon issues...oh yuck. Behave yourself and get better soon.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Wow, love the finished product

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home