My Photo
Name:
Location: lake placid, florida

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

happiness runs

in a circular motion.




donovan's song "happiness runs" has been playing in my head, and on my lips, ever since the sunshine baby blanket has been crocheting along. you'd think it would be mellow yellow...


last summer, my son bart was stationed in norway for a few weeks. oh, how i would have loved seeing him walk into the yarn store and watch him buy me a gift.


a gift of two lovely yellow shades of norwegian baby ull. a present with two meanings :-) bart gave me the yarn on christmas morning, the same day baby smiley was concieved ;-)




this sunshiney yellow yarn begged to be crocheted.


crocheted into a big happy hug of a granny square.


love for my new grandbaby-to-be in every stitch.




when bart was a baby, we visited my parents in illinois. my dad's office was in the oakbrook professonal building, in the middle of the oakbrook shopping center.



oakbrook shopping center has a wonderful juried art and craft show.




my dad bought me a boxed set of crochet hooks. years later, the set was chewed to pieces by a puppy.



imagine my surprise when i found an ad for the turn of the century crochet hooks, they same company that made my set! now i have a new set, each hook is a different exotic wood, and the case is walnut lined with green velvet.




another full circle :-)


19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful blanket! And those hooks are really incredible, what a find!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Anne P said...

Those hooks are beautiful! I keep telling DH he needs to make crochet hooks in exotic woods.

The baby blanket will be treasured, I'm sure! What cheerful, sunny colors.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

I love the bright sunshine colours of the blanket. It will be a beautiful gift for a baby.

The crochet hooks are wonderful! A very nice circle to come around too.

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel a little hot and bothered just from looking at those gorgeously turned hooks in their lovely velvet-lined box. Wow!

Your giant granny square is so cheerful! :-) I love the sunshine-y colors, and I hope the baby will too.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Romi said...

Wonderful! :)

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blanket is just beautiful!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Dr. Steph said...

I used to have a pink and white giant granny square afghan on my bed as a kid (it was one giant square). Your blanket reminds me of that.

I love the hooks--that might almost entice me to crochet.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I love when things work out the way they are supposed to. Your blanket is beautiful and those crochet hooks are fabulous.

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful blanket Vanessa...Those crochet hooks are fabulous! Beautiful tools, beautiful handwork, beautiful lady.

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

everything about this post makes me happy :-)

9:22 PM  
Blogger June said...

How absolutely lovely, you enabler, you! :)

1:53 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Circles within circles; such a happy post, it just reeks of contentment. That's a beautiful set of hooks.

1:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The crochet hooks are so fantastic, and I love the happy colors for the blanket

2:04 PM  
Blogger knitspot anne said...

oh what a beautiful story! you are SO lucky to be graduating to grandma. the blanket is wonderful and i'm sure they will use it well.

6:37 PM  
Blogger PJ said...

Oh, I'm liking this full circle post! All my favs are crocheting..I better get something going ;) oh, that set you have...crochets like butter I bet!

6:01 PM  
Blogger cindy said...

I envy your grandmotherly status!!! Lovely baby gift in the making!!

11:24 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

What a beautiful story to go with a beautiful blanket. You have made an heirloom! I can imagine the "happiness runs" in your family!

8:09 AM  
Blogger zippiknits...sometimes said...

Beautiful post! It's wonderful that you found the whole set of hooks again and can now enjoy them knitting for your new grandchild.

1:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

those colors are just lovely together, and i think that the final product is perfect!

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home