My Photo
Name:
Location: lake placid, florida

Sunday, May 06, 2007

books books and more books

pj has the most wonderful post all about her new bookshelves. pj saw the idea on sonia's blog.
i'll play, i'll play :-)
the family who built our house must have had a huge entertainment center on this wall. when we moved in there were tons of wires sticking out all over the wall.
we were lucky to have the cabinetmakers build us this fireplace with bookcases. it's my pride and joy, i designed, carved and fired the ceramic tiles that surround the fireplace.


the left side, with my tina II and jeff trapp windsor rocker.


the right side with the reeves frame wheel peeking out.
the whole thing comes apart in 3 pieces, and is going with us if we ever move ;-)


the same cabinetmakers built this lovely bookcase for the bend in the staircase.


left side,


and right side.


this is the bookcase with all the knitting books and magazines. it's overflowing...
another reeves wheel, this one is a 24" saxony. to the right is a warping reel from running moon farm.
there is also a small wicker bookcase in the guest room, and a bookcase in dd's room, but i'd have to wade through the flotsam to get a photo of them.


gratuitous kitty photo :-)

19 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

Your cabinets and book cases are gorgeous. I didn't realize that we have the same type of Reeves wheel.

7:01 PM  
Blogger June said...

Oh my goodness Vanessa! I would love to see the ceramic tile up close! And I would swoon if I had as many bookcases as you! :) And I must mention your beautiful baskets, oh my! You should be so proud of your accomplishments!

8:19 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Thanks for the tour of your book cases! They are wonderful. I love the wheels in every room.

8:19 PM  
Blogger PJ said...

Oh, my DO you have bookshelves to share! Beautiful! Thanks for playing along...lovely spaces! ditto-show the tiles upclose! 'Tina' is gorgeous as well sitting infront ;) Your pretty cat was smiling for her picture!

8:37 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

It's so much fun to see other people's space!

I can leave comments again!!

8:51 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Oh my. What a wonderful tour. The 3 piece outfit is gorgeous - of course you designed it! Love the baskets and the wheels. Would love to see the titles and the tiles up close. I am so glad you shared.

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What beautiful cabinets and love the fireplace!

7:18 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

You are multi-talented Vanessa! The fireplace tiles are wonderful, so nice that you had a "hand" in it! Thanks for showing your shelves! They are all quite beautiful!

7:28 AM  
Blogger Anne P said...

Dang, girl! Is there anything you can't/won't do? I love those built-ins. In my next house.....

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I covet your baskets! And I too would like to see the tiles you created! I think I'll steal this bookshelf post idea, as I painted a bookshelf this weekend and actually took pictures!

11:16 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

I didn't realize you were such a collecter of Reeves wheels! Good thing you don't live closer to me, I'd be sneaking over at night to play with them!

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy, I don't know which I envy more--your custom cabinetry or your collection of wheels. (You have excellent taste in wheels--doesn't surprise me at all!)

3:46 PM  
Blogger knitspot anne said...

what i notice (and love you dearly for) is that the bookcase in your workrrom is the most densely populated; i can see that every square inch was carefully calculated for its potential to hold just the right size book, in order to fit as many as possbile!
(i don't think you need to ask how i know . . .)

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tour. Beautiful fireplace - oh everything looks so lovely.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

Beautiful bookcases! I think I would be taking something like those with me should I ever have the choice.

I like the one on the staircase too. A very clever idea.

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love your bookshelves! your home looks beautiful.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

What a gorgeous house! Really beautiful. I especially love how you decorate with baskets and spinning stuff!

11:21 AM  
Blogger Dr. Steph said...

Those built ins are beautiful and the tiles are gorgeous. Well done!

1:15 PM  
Blogger Mia said...

oh wow.. that is some nice woodwork. I'd take the fireplace too.. that's so cool that you made the tiles yourself.

verrrryyy niiiiice *grin*

I gotta find me a single cabinetmaker man ::laughing::

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home