My Photo
Name:
Location: lake placid, florida

Monday, December 11, 2006

queen anne's lace quandary

marina asked me if i'd thought about subbing 2 ply hebredian for 2 of my favorite st*rmore designs, rona and blue corn cafe. i hadn't, but it got me ruminating about a different design.



subbing for queen anne's lace has been rumbling around in my noggin for a while. so i got out the color cards, and came up with this combination. what do you think?


tormentil
crotal
capercaille
selkie
limpet
erica
clover
red deer
red rattle
pebble beach background color

i think they blend together better in person than on my monitor.

dd and i had a very busy birthday weekend. friday we drove up to the university offlorida for the tour. the campus was much more beautiful than i expected. her big brother graduated from florida state, u of f's arch rival. hmm, she has applied to both schools, keep your fingers crossed!


yesterday we had a great time at a cookie party! dd and i made viennesse coffee balls and fudge filled toffee kisses, yum:-)











karen, our hostess made sugar cookies for us to decorate, fun!






saturday sunset, a couple of days late.





carla, anne, and linda, thanks for the compliments and birthday wishes. i can't find a way to email you personally! if i missed anyone else, thanks :-)

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've told you for years that UF is where DD should be. She will get in for sure and be an asset to the Gator Nation.
You should wait on Queen Anne's Lace - too much garnet and gold. You will want to be knitting in blue and orange in the future.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Anne P said...

I hope you knit that sweater - it's been on my to-do list for years and years (being a namesake and all), but I have not ever gotten around to it.

Do you have a receipe for those toffee kisses? Those sound awfully good.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

My bad! I don't know whether I'm coming or going.

I like the colors you chose. Not as dreary as the original ones.

6:26 PM  
Blogger cindy said...

Lovely color choices for Q Anne. Yes.....how about the recipes for both of the cookies :))?

9:56 PM  
Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

That sunset photo matches your yarn choices, just saying.

I SO wish I could afford to get ahold of an old Starmore book. Those designs are so gorgeous!

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On *my* monitor, they look lovely together. But I'm no expert on Fair Isle color combining...

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knitted it a long time ago, I liked the subtleness of the Shaela/White, it added to the charm.
It was a bore to knit, not changeing one of colors throughout made it so.

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to speak up for FSU since I'm on my second degree here. We have way more of interest to offer to an artistic young woman like your DD! and Garnet and Gold is much more flattering to knit than (gack) blue and orange...

seriously, Queen Anne's Lace is someday going to be my first fair isle, and I love what you've picked for colors. Hope you go ahead and do it so we can watch.
Linda M.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a nice couple of days. Terri

11:30 AM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

Oh, those COLORS! If they're this pretty on the monitor, I can't even imagine how lovely they must be in person.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home