My Photo
Name:
Location: lake placid, florida

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

where was i?

oh yes, still waiting for more selkie, so i can finish st.ciaran...
in the meantime, i've been kanoodling around with a couple of st*rmore designs that have been calling to me for ages.


first we have grapevine (being inspired my mem's shetland dk version), using limpet in 2ply. the 2ply is giving a lovely lightweight fabric, and the back is measuring 21", perfect :-) now have to wait for more yarn to arrive in the mail, as i was only playing with leftovers.




next up, st.brigid. the 3ply selkie was originally meant for st.brigid, but the amendment for the small size from vy has a tighter gauge than the original sweater in aran knitting. living in florida, i don't need an even warmer sweater, so started playing around with some leftover 2ply in lapwing. this color is just spectacular.



since i'd rather have a cardigan than a pullover, here are my 2 options for the fronts: the one in lapwing has the 2 smaller cables and 2 braids, with the thought that the center cable will look like the main cable cut in half. the second one in sundew (ran out of lapwing) has the main cable flanked by 2 braids. i'm leaning towards the second, as i love the large cable, also the first option has the middle braid coming straight up the middle of my boob, not what i need to accentuate ;-)













all opinions will be greatly appreciated!

anonymous, madrona is the madrona fiber arts retreat. truly wonderful.



and a sky for sandy :-)

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a beautiful sky photo. and i like your knitting kanoodling.

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful cablework! I lean towards the large center cable...

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found your blog. I was looking for photos of the sweaters you wore to Madrona. Looks like you just posted some yesterday!

I'm still trying to decide which *more project to take on next so I've been blog hopping.

I prefer the larger cable. Can't wait to see how it comes out.

Grapevine looks tempting.

9:46 PM  
Blogger e's knitting and spinning blog said...

I love the second option in sundew:-)

6:23 AM  
Blogger CatonsvilleCats said...

I will be the contrary one and say I like the one on the left... I think the biggest cable would look funny isolated like that on a little cardigan front. But that's just me. Making that in a lighter weight is a great idea.

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I concur with Caroline. Both are great, but I like the left one for a cardigan, right one for a pullover.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

Vanessa, I can't decide which cables I like best. They are all so beautiful.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I definitely like the wider cable! If you wanted to go with the thinner cables, maybe you could do three instead and leave the braid out. The blue is just amazing! What great yarn!

3:11 PM  
Blogger jenknits said...

Wow, that lapwing is a beautiful color.

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drool. What a dilemma. I like the wide cable, but in the lapwing. Beautiful.

11:13 AM  
Blogger DeeAnn said...

You make my head spin with all of your gorgeous cabling!! St Ciaran and Grapevine are two of my definite favorites and you do them beautifully.

I can't vote for one pattern over the other - I really like both, I'd probably do one on one side and one on the other lol :)

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home